My kids have mac & cheese a lot. Its almost as if its a weekly staple in my house. OK, I’m going to lie. Im an Annie’s mac & cheese mom. I normally make broccoli as a side for them. It seems like broccoli is one of the vegetables they never really complain about. Kids! I have very little time to get creative and make my own sometimes. I know. But we decided to try out this awesome recipe we got from my Fixate cookbook. My kids loved it! I made a whole batch and it lasted for about 3 days. I gave it to my kids as a side with their meals. Its also husband approved! It took about 20 minutes to prepare in total.
- 4 oz. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (I used organic brown rice and quinoa pasta)
- 4 tsp. organic grass-fed butter (I used organic coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1¼ cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. (Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions.) Set aside.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
4. Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
6. Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
7. Serve immediately.
One thing I really liked about this recipe is that I can store it and keep it fresh for days. I will be making more homemade mac & cheese . I will also try new recipes for it. It’s so much better and all around healthier for the kids.