General rule of thumb for Clean Eating: The fewer the ingredients, the better!
If i look at a label, and it has a bunch of ingredients I either don’t understand or can’t read, I simply don’t buy it! I fell in love with Tosca Reno and her books. She is the queen of clean eating!
Complex Carbs ( These are GOOD carbs)
Steel Cut Oats
Ezekiel Bread (Available in the frozen section of grocery store)
Ezekiel brand pasta and tortillas
Whole wheat orzo
Flax Seed & Flax Oil
Green and Red pepper
Onions (green, red, yellow)
Pumpkin (fresh & canned)
Dried Split Peas
Lime & lemon juice
Natural-style Peanut butter (unsalted) or PB2
Coconut Oil (cooking spray)
Olive Oil cooking spray
Boneless, skinless chicken breast
Extra lean ground turkeyAlbacore Tuna (water-packed)
White Meat Chicken (water packed)
Extra lean ground round
Buffalo steak (lean)
Flank Steak (leanest)
Dairy & Eggs
Fat-free cottage cheese
Eggs and/or Egg white Substitute
Non-fat, plain yogurt
Greek yogurt (non-fat)
Fat-free String Cheese
Almond Milk (unsweetened)
Jarlsberg Lite Swiss Cheese
Fresh Parmesean Cheese
*READ YOUR LABELS! NO MSG, High-Fructose Corn Syrup or Aspartame!)
Braggs Liquid Amino Acid (sub for soy sauce)
Reduced-sodium Teriyaki Sauce (no corn syrup)
Non-fat Greek Yogurt (*use this in place of Sour Cream)
Tomato Paste (low sugar)
Stewed tomatoes (low sodium)
Mustard (yellow or Dijon)
Low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
Low-sodium, fat-free vegetable broth
Reduced-sodium tomato sauce & tomatoes
Organic Cane Sugar
It’s been a great week so far at the salon. I had a new referral who was totally open to cutting off her hair. She was so tired of the dye that she was given at a previous salon and wanted me to fix it. We cut her hair off and gave her a pop of some natural highlights along with taking her base color back to natural . She was such a pleasure to work with and I find myself incredibly blessed to get referrals based on my work. All of this was used with Aveda Full Spectrum hair color.
I also had the pleasure in seeing Maritza. She has been a long time client of mine and I love when she comes in because she is always wanting to change her hair. Its not often that you have a client who wants to change her hair color every six weeks! After her hair grew back from chemo, she wanted to experiment by being platinum blonde. We’ve had some fun and added a baby purple before and this time around she wanted to go back to red. We decided to do this in a slow process as we are trying to put pigment back into her hair slowly. We left some highlights around the face. I love how both came out! Expressing myself through hair color truly is an art.
Im getting super excited about my next challenge group! Hosting my own challenge groups brings me extra motivation. When I help others, it helps me too. In my challenge groups , I provide support,daily motivation, meal planning tips, a nutrition guide , and most importantly, hold you accountable! I will help find you the right program that best fits your needs and your time. In the summer, its hard to stay consistent as our kids have more time at home, we have graduation parties, vacations and our schedule is off.
Im looking for 3 new people to help mentor, help motivate and show you how to apply healthy positive habits into your lifestyle all while not feeling deprived. Ask me about all the ways I can help you.
So many people lately have asked me where I get my motivation from. I used to believe that motivation in fact is what just gets you started. Now I believe that its the self discipline that gets us started, and the new habit process that enhances the motivation. Creating a habit and achieving the desired end result is what creates the primary motivation.
How do you find motivation to exercise when you just aren’t up for it? While I sometimes ask myself this same question on the days I don’t feel like working out, but most of the time I find myself remembering some of these things and that gets me going. Here are some tips to get motivated to get off your butt and start a new exercise habit.
- Find a workout/ accountability buddy. This is my most recent find and one of the best ways to share your daily struggles and tips with. Sign up with a friend, and hold yourselves accountable. Join a team or a group of people who all want the same thing.
- Think about how you will after. Everyone feels amazing after a workout. Sometimes you feel as though you can’t move , but for the most part there is a point where you will a high going there. It’s the best high. That alone motivated you because all you have to do is constantly remember that feeling.
- You deserve some selfish time. We take time to care for others such ( kids, family, spouse, coworkers, bosses, friends) But what about us? You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take the time to care for yourself. Schedule this appointment for yourself so that way you can give the best of you to others
- Stress reliever. Do you have a lot on your plate? Maybe you feel stressed from some personal issues, work issues , or you have a lot of brain clutter. You can ditch the stress by getting that exercise in.
- New clothes. Are you tired of your clothes fitting too snug? Maybe you want to fit into a smaller size?Maybe you just want new clothes? The opportunity is there .
- Rewards. Find ways to reward yourself after a few days, weeks , or months. Start setting small goals for yourself. Tell yourself you can do this and crush it. Reward yourself more in the beginning too. Always remember “There is no elevator to success”
- Take a Before Pic. Most of us don’t want to do this in the beginning. But this simple task sets reality within us and something clicks. Do it because you will be so proud of your progress. This is extremely motivating.
- Pinterest. Make a board full of all the motivational quotes that inspire you. Whenever you are feeling less inspired, look for more . Review them from time to time. Don’t just save them .
- Others notice. Once others start to notice how amazing you feel and they see your progress, that is extremely motivating. It makes you want to keep going.
- Books. Read up on personal development . Buy books about fitness and health. Look through magazine articles. Fuel your mind.
- Don’t skip a workout. Think about how horrible you will feel if you go too long without working out. This makes me feel YUCK and not like myself. Things get difficult and overwhelming too. We don’t want this right?
Working out gets your creative juices flowing and you are more likely to have a fabulous day rather then sit around and not feel as though you didn’t accomplish anything. Constantly remind yourself that you will feel calmer, happier, sexier, and more energetic after a workout. That’s plenty of motivation right there.
I’ve spent the last few days getting my challengers situated as we set out to begin our NEW Summer Ready Challenge next week and one of my clients asked me what were my suggestions to stay on track while her son is out playing baseball playoffs all weekend. I feel as though this topic is good for most people who are working full-time, training, and trying to stay on track. I always like to make sure that everyone is ready, mentally prepared, and setting themselves up to succeed. The most important thing to remember when anyone is trying to eat better is to always make sure you have everything on hand. ” Fail to plan. Plan to fail”
I thought I would express my TOP tips on how to manage clean eating while you are out and about. Mind you, these are just tips that have worked for myself and others. They may or may not work for you, or you simply might find one or the other more useful.
If you know you have a busy day or two ahead , plan your meals. Find one or two nights where you can prep your food. If you have to prep the night before, great. The key is to never go a day without not knowing what you will eat. Chances are you will end up super hungry and reach for whatever is in site and thats not a good idea right? I bulk- cook my chicken either in the oven or the crockpot. I then bulk cook some veggies I have on hand . I separate so I have it all ready. Sure it’s work, but you feel great when you do it. Find th
e time in your schedule to make it happen. We get so temped and let’s not let that stand between YOU and your fitness goals.
- Invest in a small cooler and ice pack to keep prepared and refrigerated foods cold.
- Plan Ahead– Plan in advance. Where are you going? Make a list and go purchase it all. Think about your trip, and bring what you need so your not left feeling stuck and hungry.
- Pack protein and complex carbs -If you’re anything like me, you want to measure your foods with the handy and fun 21 day fix portion control container system. When I know I will be pretty active for the week, I like to purchase easy to grab meals. Pack east to eat left-overs or make a huge batch of Pre – grilled chicken and pre- packed salad, hummus and veggies, shakeology in a shaker cup to add milk/ water to. Turn on dinner in the crockpot before you go to bed, apple slices and almond butter, fresh fruit with nuts, egg whites . Think about what you want and make it fun.
- Pack heart- healthy unsaturated fats such as pre- measured ( in your blue container) almond butter, nuts or pre packed hummus.
- Quest bars– protein bars aren’t the greatest when it comes to whole food nutrition, but it gets the job done and maintains your energy levels. These bars are low in carbs and sugar, and high in protein. Always check your protein bars and my advice is double digit protein, single digit carb, and single digit sugar.
- Stay hydrated– drink water and make sure to have plenty of fluids while you are on the road. Water before and after meals is not only good for us, but it relieves fatigue, improves the mood, helps in digestion and constipation, aids weight loss and flushes out toxins.
- Schedule your workouts– wake up earlier then usual to get at least a 30 minute workout in. Or get a walk in at the park Studies show when you work out, you’re more likely to succeed during the day and fuel your body with the right foods.
- Don’t deprive yourself-You should never deprive yourself. In fact, its good to indulge every now and then . I do advise moderation in your splurge foods . If you want that cake , have a few bites. If you go out for pizza, have one slice instead of three. I believe in the 80/20 rule. 80 % healthy and 20 % indulging.
I’m Jaclyn and I used to call myself an over achiever. I did too much and never really took care of myself. Sometimes I find myself falling into these habits, and when I do, I try to ground myself. I’m sure most woman can relate to the kind of woman who tries to “juggle” it all. That kind where you do so much and in the end you exhaust yourself and forget about who you were and what you stand for. Then you just stress yourself out and you just flat out feel stressed, exhausted, and burnt out! Next thing you know, your depressed! To make my story short, a few years back I had some deep life-changing experiences which caused me to really see life in a different light. I quickly realized that some things weren’t cut out the way I had anticipated and I chose the path to stay home with my kids more often.
Choosing to invest in my health has put me on this path where I see the light again. I was so Burnt out with the same cycle . Work! Bills! Work! My free time consisted of too much tv and foods to snack on. Now I just snack with the right snacks AND I live by the 80/20 rule! I indulge when I want . I would spend time with my family … But on a budget! Let’s just face it, you can work hard and make A LOT of money but not enough time with your family , OR you can work less with more time for your family. I’m happy to say I now run my very own business from home and I get to wake up each morning loving what I do with a purpose. My purpose is to help other people know that you don’t have to settle for the ordinary . You don’t have to settle for what you’re doing if it doesn’t bring you purpose.
If your someone who feels like I felt… Exhausted, sluggish, over-weight , living pay check by paycheck , stressed out all the time, too busy and flat out lost… Then ask me of all the ways I can help you earn an income from your very own home ALL while becoming in the BEST shape of your life! Not to mention, more time with your family !